OP-ED XOXO Album

by - October 18, 2013


XOXO Album
KISS VERSION

After a year and few months of waiting, EXO has finally come back. My album review has been in my mind for quite some time. Because of my “busy” schedule and idleness in blogging, I decided to make a review in my mind and put it into writing whenever I am available. AND THE TIME HAS COME.

Is XOXO worth the wait? As Suho’s Tinkerbell is concerned, YES! But I will try to view things in a normal K-pop enthusiast’s perspective. I am not a music major or whatsoever. I am just a Koreanophile like the you, reading this because you just love EXO (like me).

Since I am not music major, I will just review this in my own “feel.” 

Throwback, WOLF has been leaked months before the album was out. Exostans/Exotics/Exocytosis (Whatever fanbase we are called right now or during those days) were trying so hard to defend and/or deny that WOLF is not our oppadeul’s comeback song.

To tell you guys honestly, I listened to the “leaked version” of WOLF a day before their comeback stage because I was really curious. I felt that something was lacking in that version. As far as I remember, Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s voices dominated the leaked version and they pronounced “wolf” and not “oolf”. Kekeke.

I bought my physical album a week after it was released in Korea. My photo card was Kai and exchanged it to my super-Kai-fangirl-friend to Sehun and met someone in the mall to exchange her Suho  photo card to my Sehun  photo card. Dear Kim Junmyeon, this is how I love you. I went to the mall to meet another EXOstan just to exchange my Sehun  photo card to your photo card.

Anyway, let’s go back on track!

늑대와 미녀 (Wolf)

As far as Chanyeol’s title track introduction is concerned, Neuk Dae Wa Mi Nyeo or WOLF is a combination of hip-hop and dubstep. This song reminds me of SNSD’s I Got A Boy. WOLF is indeed a strong comeback song since EXO started with a strong debut with MAMA & HISTORY. Strong as in the choreography and the vocals were in an almost perfect synergy for rookies.  I never imagined this group having a “cute” concept. This is a very LUHAN comeback (what I mean is very manly).

WOLF’s MV was worth the wait. Its transition of an alien from exoplanet to a wolf was flawless. One of my personal favorites is the “Tree of Life” in the beginning of the video and they will smoothly come out from their original positions. The wardrobe/costumes were good too except for that part where Suho and Chanyeol and others were wearing raincoats (I will agree to that if they wanted to start a trend…Well as a fan, I just appreciated it, of course). And whoever sang the “Ah Saranghaeyo~” part you are so great!



In some music shows, EXO performed WOLF live. You can really distinguish a performance if it is live or not. With the heavy choreography, I believe it is okay to lipsync. Whenever they sang live, good lord! Chen and Baekhyun were really unexceptional! The high notes and all were really smooth. The HunHan ending made me spazz more!



Also in some music shows, their clothes were really epic. I wonder why the coordi-noona/coordi-eonnie dressed our Kyungsoo like a Disney princess and a cute chicken. It still suits him though. Xiumin and Chen’s hair were electrified. And of course, who will forget Sehun’s colorful hair.






Xiumin looks like a wet squirrel here. :3

Let’s go back to the album itself.

Baby, Don’t Cry (인어의 눈물)

Ineowi Nun Mul. A song about a mermaid’s tears as EXO described it. What about a mermaid’s tears? I don’t really understand. Kekeke. But you can really feel the sadness in this song. What I loved about this song (besides Suho’s parts) was Chanyeol’s rap! His voice was really deep and perfect for that certain part. You will really recognize that he is also singing in some parts of the song when there is an “echo.” Oh Chanyeol, Baekhyun is really lucky. Kekeke. His voice reminds me of T.O.P.

D.O. and Baekhyun's part translation

The moonbeam that brims up in your eyes
This night that silently overflows with pain




Black Pearl

I thought this song was dedicated to SNSD’s Yuri. Kekeke. The song started slowly and then a sudden electronic beat. Sorry to say that this is one of my least favorite in the album. But I love the meaning behind the song. The song is about a guy who resists his feelings for his love one.

Question of existence, apart from reality

Am I wandering in a dream and what’s beyond it




나비소녀 (Don’t Go)

Nabi Sonyeo or  Butterfly Girl is the literal translation of this song. This is my favorite song in the whole XOXO Album! I just love how the song flows. I love it even more when I searched for the whole translation of the song. The meaning was very deep (I think a lot of K-pop songs have a deep meaning that’s why I love them). This song made me feel sad and happy, in short abnormal. Kekeke.
The chorus part was my favorite:

Guide me yeah take me together with you to the place where you live

Oh even if the world ends, I’ll follow from behind you so please don’t go out of my sight

Even when the morning comes, don’t disappear oh
This walk that I’m dreaming
You’re my only beautiful butterfly


Let Out The Beast

I think this song means that you have to unleash the beast that is inside you. Maybe in life, you have to be fearless in order to get the things you deserve. Take a risk. This showcases Chanyeol’s rapping skills! And for the Hug version, all of your TaoRis feels are overflowing!

Untie the chain that sunk into your restrained heart

Don’t stop until that moon disappears

When the lighting illuminates me
All the people looking at me fall for me
When the lighting illuminates me
Don’t miss any of my gazes



3.6.5

OH DEAR IS THIS One Direction?! The beginning of the song sounds like it but it is not. Kekeke. I remember when EXO was a guest in a radio show, the DJ asked what is 3.6.5 and Chanyeol just said that it is the days of the year. As simple as that.

Get crushed three times, even if you cry around the fifth one


In the album, 3.6.5 is the 6th song. The line “Get crushed three times” pertains to the three sad songs before 3.6.5 and those are Baby Don’t Cry, Black Pearl and Don’t Go. I’m just making my own premonition in this album. Kekeke.

3-6-5 behind you I will live everyday for you

3-6-5 as if I was born for you I will fill my days

oh oh oh oh- 3-6-5 No matter what pain it is
oh oh oh oh- 3-6-5 I will make you forget about it
3-6-5 I will protect you





Heart Attack
This is also my least favorite. I don’t know why but please don’t bash me. Kekeke.  But the meaning was also nice.

An instant Heart Attack This time’s end

The world overpowering me The most entrancing feeling’s Heart Attack

Even if my breathe stops, you’re so close, that I like it



You still like your dying moment because of the presence of your love one.

피터팬 (Peter Pan)

If F(x) has Pinocchio, SHINee have Lucifer, Sherlock and Juliette, Super Junior have Super Man and Gulliver, Girls’ Generation has Genie, well EXO has Peter Pan! PITEO PAEN. I also love this song! This is my second favorite, next to Don’t Go. I really do love Kai and Sehun’s rap part! The second voices of D.O. and Baekhyun were really magical. I really feel that I am at Neverland.  

That time like when your eyes that gently smiled (Although I put out my hand Oh!)

If you were to fly to me right now through the open window in the part of my heart (You get farther Away)

You that i bottled in my fairy tale, as always, lingering around sweety girl (Don’t leave)

I’m still trembling the part of my heart that you’re not in this place is a lonely island (The me from that time)

You that is written in my memories pretty girl that won’t get erased! (is here right now Oh!)
My heart is still beating the one part of my heart that you’re not in (Where could you be)


Baby

A song that makes me sleep.
Why do you make my eyes shine like this
Why do you make my heart beat this crazily

Although I become breathless You are so precious to me Don’t forget


MY LADY

I’ve been waiting for EXO’s My Lady!!! I remember this song was used in Kai’s teaser and I found it really sexy! The song did not disappoint me at all. The English translation of the song was like:
D.O. and Chanyeol’s part

Come a bit closer (don’t stop!)

If I hold you (everything’s alright)

The flowing melody, seemingly tickling my ear
Don’t be too late

LET'S HAVE A THROWBACK SHALL WE? 




Very sensual and sexy song! This song is really eargasmic!

Cause this review is just full of my opinion and feels.

I will give this an 8 for infinity and luck. The first WOLF is by EXO (OT12) the 11th WOLF is only sung by EXO-K and it seems I can’t distinguish the difference at all. Heart Attack and Black Pearl has great meanings but they did not meet my feels. WOLF is better than the leaked one. I love the rest of the songs in the album. The physical album itself was cool! I love their high school concept.

In the whole album, what's your favorite song and why? ^^


Track List:

- CD 1 (Kiss Ver.)-

01. 늑대와 미녀 (Wolf)
02. Baby, Don’t Cry (인어의 눈물)
03. Black Pearl
04. 나비소녀 (Don’t Go)
05. Let Out The Beast
06. 3.6.5
07. Heart Attack
08. 피터팬 (Peter Pan)
09. Baby
10. My Lady
11. 늑대와 미녀 (Wolf) (EXO-K Ver.)
12. 늑대와 미녀 (Wolf) (Chinese Ver.)


Visit http://kpoplyrics.net for English Translations and Romanization of your favorite K-pop songs.

*Photos and videos credit to the owner. No copyright infringement intended.*


You May Also Like

0 comments