SUNNY (2011) MOVIE REVIEW

by - October 15, 2013




Sunny (2011)

Last Friday, I watched this 2011 Korean Movie, Sunny. I watched this movie because of only one reason: Kang Sora. Yes, Kang Sora, Super Junior Leeteuk’s on-screen wife in “We Got Married.”


Plot

 



In the mid-80’s, under the military dictatorship, Na-Mi (Shim Eun-Kyung), a girl from Jeolla province moves to Seoul and enrolls in Jindeok Girls School. On her first day at her new school, she is bullied by other girls because of her dialect but she is helped by a group of girls with different personalities. First girl is the outstanding fighter and loya friend, Chun-Hwa (Kang Sora), the girl who badly desires to have a double-eye lid surgery, Jang-Mi (Kim Min-Young), the foul-mouthed professor’s daughter, Jin-Hee (Park Jin-Joo), the girl who loves literature, Geum-Ok (Nam Bo-Ra), the dentist’s daughter who aspires to be Ms. Korea and the pretty but arrogant, Su-Ji (Min Hyo-Rin). Na-Mi becomes part of their group. Na-Mi spews swear words she picked up from her grandmother when their group confronts its arch nemesis known as Sonyeo Sidae (Girls Generation – a popular Korean girl group of today’s generation). These seven girls with different personalities formed their own group and named it “Sunny.” They promised to stay together forever. At an upcoming school event, a very bad thing occurred leading the girls to go on their own separate ways.

Twenty five years later, Na-Mi (Yoo Ho-Jeong) is married to a business man and has a daughter. One day, Na-Mi saw her highschool friend, Chun-Hwa (Jin Jee-Kyung) in a hospital. The two were very happy to see each other. Chun-Hwa, who is in terminal stages of cancer, makes a simple request to Na-Mi before she leaves. Chun-Hwa asks Na-Mi to look up the other members of “Sunny” before she dies.  

Insight

The value of friendship was really seen in this movie. I inevitably thought of my high school friends while watching this movie. I asked myself “What will happen to us (me and my high school friends) after twenty five years?” Only God knows the answer. It is not just a happy reunion of seven high school best friends after twenty five years but also fulfilling a promise to stay together forever.

Friendship like love, has a broad definition, and it has many meanings. For some, friends are someone to talk to at school, friends reside next door and play with you; friends are people you study with. In this movie, friends are everything. If one of your friends is hurt you’ll hunt those people who hurt your friend and you’ll fight for your friend.

High school is the best. It is the best because all “firsts” happened in high school, first adolescent crush, first love, first kiss (for other people but not me) and first whatever.

The importance of one’s life is also seen in this movie. Na-Mi’s life is almost perfect but there is still lacking. The search for true happiness and love are the basic ingredients for our life to blossom.
I remember when my mom asked me to come with her at her high school reunion, different groups were still visible and humility is missing. *Off topic* My mom’s Spanish teacher approached me and asked me “How are you?” and I was like “WTF?!” I just said “I am your student’s daughter. *smiles*” Before their reunion, they’re bashing each other in facebook and I said “Come on! You’re grown up people and yet you still fight?!”

Best Quotes
“We’ll meet again. If you ignore us because your life is too good, we’ll go and punish you. If you hide because your life sucks, we’ll go and make it better.” – Chun-Hwa (Kang Sora)



“You’re the star of your life.” – Chun- Hwa (Jin Jee-Kyung)

Comment
This movie made me laugh and cry at the same time.
Great cinematography. Great actresses.
80’s songs were great even though I wasn’t born in the 80’s. I love the soundtrack.
Ratings: 8.5/10


This entry was written 09-16-2012.

 Photos credit to the owner. 




You May Also Like

0 comments